Monday, January 2, 2012

A New Year.

I'm not much of a resolution type of girl, but I do get excited about the many opportunities a new year brings. After all, everyone wants a clean slate--a fresh start. Which is exactly why I'm planning on buying new towels. Because honestly, our old ones stink. And there is nothing better than starting off a new year with fresh, clean towels. Seriously, I'm joking here. Sort of.

I wrote that last paragraph last night wondering exactly where I was going with it, so I'm just going to leave it for your enjoyment and start here...

While I want to throw out all the bad of last year, I know without it the good just wouldn't seem so sweet. Sure, I like the idea of a fresh, clean start, but I've gained so much from the "not-so-good" things and the trials that happened this past year. And even though there were many things I didn't understand at the time, there was so much good that came out of these trials. God's hand was in the midst of it all--watching me grow in my faith, teaching me to put my complete trust in Him. Giving it all to Him, knowing that He is in control. And when I had nothing left, I prayed. He answered.

So I'm carrying all I learned last year with me into the new year, and here are 3 things I'm going to do:

I'm going to pray more intentionally. Not just when things aren't going the way I want them to go, but also when things are going better than I have ever hoped for. God has a hand in it all.

If I love you, I'm going to tell you. A lot. So you don't forget. Because sometimes it's just nice to hear it, even if you already know.

I'm going to slow down. I'm not ever going to be so busy I can't take 20 minutes to just sit and play with my kids. There is nothing that can't wait.

There are so many, many more I could add, but I want to keep the list short so I can really take my time to focus on these things.

This weekend, we ended the year with a birthday party. It was small, quiet party, but it was just what was needed to end the year. We reflected on where we were a year ago, and we celebrated.

We celebrated her...













God has used my girls to teach me so many things, and I look forward to growing and learning so much more in this new year. There will be trials and there will be blessings. But at the end of the year we'll look back and reflect. And it's going to be good.

In 4 weeks we're going to celebrate another special birthday. I can't wait!

And I want to know--what is it you're planning for the New Year? Whether it's a resolution or simply being more intentional. Tell me. I'd love to hear.

And P.S.- if you're reading this, I love you. Thank you for following our family, celebrating with us, and praying for us this year.

Happy New Year to you, friends!  May God bless you this year and always.

No comments: