Monday, June 6, 2011

The Carolinas.

We loaded up this morning and drove to the beach. And as we drove we talked about how nice it would be to live by the water. To be just a short drive away from sandy shores and waves, and to be able to hit the beach at a moments notice. I wondered to myself if I might get tired of it after awhile. If maybe I just thought it was so grand because it's out of the ordinary for us, and if I lived so close maybe it would get old. But as I breathed in the salty air and sank my feet in the sand, I answered no to the question. Sure, I may miss my Ohio winter's and the beautiful snowfalls, but I'm pretty sure I could soak in the sun and salty water forever and be content. And this week, that's exactly what we're doing.

 Adelynn is starting to enjoy it a little more also, though she's still alittle unsure of the water. She took to the sand, making sure to stay far enough away from the rip tide. The waves were high and loud, crashing up onto the shore of the beach, making it easy to understand why she may be alittle frightened of them. And while we were there, we witnessed a rescue as someone got a little too far out in the water and got caught in the waves, which would be enough to scare just about anybody. But we kept our distance, dipping our toes in and sitting just close enough to meet the waves at the shoreline. It was a fabulous afternoon.

 As we arrived back to the house and started cleaning up, dumping sand from our bags, Adelynn happily jumped on the bed. And when her foot accidently slipped and she fell to the floor, I heard her say something I would never have thought to hear her say. Just to be sure I wasn't mistaken, I asked her to repeat it. "What did you just say?", I asked. She paused, staring at me as if she knew she had just said something she shouldn't. "What did you just say!?", I asked again, my voice rising this time. "I said ohh shit!", she whispered. I began to feel a little panicked. That was my kid who just said a bad word, and it was not just out of nowhere either. She actually used it in context. Don't get youself worked up over this, I thought to myself. She had to have heard it from somwhere."Who says that?", I asked calmy. "Daddy says it!", she said with a smile on her face. I yelled for Brian, who must have been listening in around the corner, because he walked in and said "Did she just throw me under the bus!?". Yes, yes she did. "Adelynn, we don't say that word", he said. She smiled, "Ok daddy, we don't say ohh shit!" And she continued to repeat, "we don't say ohh shit." Though it may have been a little humerous to us, I was careful not to laugh. It's not her fault. We set the example. There are little ears listening, and those girls adore him. They're listening closely and watching his every move, so those moves and words better be good.

I'm not perfect. I've said things I shouldn't say before either. She could have easily said she heard it from me. Today I was clearly reminded of the example I need to set for my girls. We live, we learn, and we move on.


Happy Monday! :)

1 comment:

rebekahridgway said...

Alex said his first curse word the other day, too! You're not alone :)