Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Getaway.

Last summer Brian's brother, Brad, and sister-in-law, Jennifer, approached us about going on a vacation this summer to The Outer Banks. They had chosen it as their honeymoon destination a year prior and really enjoyed it, so they decided to invite each of their families to join them in a return visit. They had rented a house big enough to accommodate everyone, so all we needed to do was get there. At the time, Brian and I had started praying about growing our family, so we accepted under the condition I wouldn't be due at or around that time.

When we found out we were pregnant with Lillian and I would be due in March, we were excited we would be able to make the trip. We knew traveling with a toddler and a baby would be quite the adventure, but we were up for the task. Then when Lillian made her early debut, we hesitated a little on whether or not we'd have to cancel our plans. Would she be well enough to go? Would the financial stress of having a baby with extra needs push a vacation down on our list of priorities? We pondered these things for a few months and made the decision to go for it. We knew having some time away from the stress of everything over the past several months would do us all good. The beach was calling our name.

So today we're hitting the road. We are leaving around the girls' bedtime. Since Lillian wakes up at night to eat, we'll still have to make some stops, but we figured we'd get the most out of our drive time if we left in the evening.


And since this week has been a seemingly crazy week around here, a vacation is sounding wonderful! The girls have been keeping me on my toes. On Wednesday, I was having a particulary down day. We had planned on meeting some friends at the library for music and then getting some lunch, but our morning just didn't get off to a very good start and we didn't make it.  I sat down to feed Lillian before we headed out the door, and when she had finished and I called for Adelynn she appeared from her room like this....


Apparently she had found some sunblock in her diaper bag and decided to give it a whirl! Having only fifteen minutes before music started, I knew I wouldn't get her cleaned up in time.


But the worst came just after I snapped this picture. Because her hand went right to her eyes and she let out a blood curling scream.

And somewhere between Adelynn's cries, Lillian's cries, and trying to keep Adelynn from touching her face while I was running bath water, I think I began to cry too! Her eyes become all puffy and she could barely open them. Thankfully, our day did get better. Both girls napped at the same time that afternoon so I was able to get a nap in also, and when Adelynn woke up her her eyes didn't look as bad.

Knowing I was having a bit of a rocky day, my dear friend brought us lunch and later in the day had this sent to me along with some chocolates...

Thank You, Brianne--You brightened my day! I'm very thankful for you. You're a great friend!

Hopefully Adelynn will let me put sunblock on her for vacation. She might be tramatized. :) So with that, it's off to the beach we go!



No comments: