Saturday, March 12, 2011

The terrible cake and why I don't bake (or rhyme for that matter...)

Let me start off by saying I'm not a good cook. Don't get me wrong, I can follow a simple recipe. But throw in some fancy terms and ingredients I've never heard of...well, consider me a lost cause. You won't be finding me writing a blog on cooking. Nope. Unless, of course, you find humor in my disasters. Roast, braise, marinate, saute...what does all that mean anyway?! And because I didn't just whip those terms out, see Cooks Recipes Cooking Dictionary.

For the last few weeks since we've been home with Lillian people have been so gracious in bringing us meals, and we are so very grateful for this! It has been nice not having to worry about making dinner while we are adjusting to having a newborn and a 2 year old. Not to mention all the meals have been such a treat for us--a far cry from our usual hamburger helper or chicken nuggets.

Anyhow, cake has been sounding very good lately. Some yellow cake with chocolate frosting to be specific. I've been thinking about this cake for awhile now, and because yesterday I started feeling a little ambitious, I decided to give it a shot. I grabbed a box of yellow cake mix and a can of frosting..nothing too fancy, ya know. But something got a hold of me and I decided I wanted to get a little creative by trying to make it a round double layer cake. Now, the actual cake tasted fine (I mean, it was from a box so it was kinda hard to mess up). But layering the cake...well...it was bad. Disastrous, actually. When I went to take the cakes out of the pans they pretty much fell completely apart. So I did what I could---stacked em' up, 'glued' em' back together with frosting, and threw on some sprinkles for good measure!

And the end result:




A pretty sad lookin' cake if ya ask me....And proof that I'm just not any good at this!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I must be below you in my cooking skills because I thought the cake pretty darn good! Not sad at all. :)

I give you two thumbs up!

Kristen said...

Oh and I am so glad to read that many have been bringing you dinners. I have been thinking about you and wanting to do that. Truth is I can barely do it for my own right now. A newborn and a two year old (well now mine is 3) is quite a busy life for sure. I am glad you are being cared for.

Trisha Colbart said...

Holly, there's no such thing as a disastrous cake when there's icing on it. ;) I think it looks absolutely yummy. Not a thing wrong with it. Great job for your first double layer. Now, send me a slice!